A weak point remained the sector between the Jekertoren and the Pater Vincktoren, which was protected only by the first ring wall. Beter protection was afforded when the territory of Maastricht was extended southwards as the river bed of the Jeker moved away from the city, leaving land deposits, and later, in 1486, through annexation of the adjacent part of the Liege seigniory of Sint-Pieter. In 1456 the Jeker deposits in front of the Helpoort were fortified by the erection of a freestone wall; afterwards this lands was destinated as the site for a pest-house, which was sometimes ominously valled "het Paradijs" ( paradise). To this day, walls from three different building periods meet at the Pater Vincktoren: sections of the first and second encientes and of the "new Bullwark"dating from 1456. Here, too, lie three water gates, two of which are still in use. Thirty years later the magistrate had the annexed area- the so-called Nieuwstad (new town) - fortified with a moat and an earthwork. This provisional fortification was replaced in the years 1515-1517 by the still extant wall in light-grey freestone, which is covered by two heavy, round towers with casemates. They bear the grim names "Haat en Nijd"( hatred and enmity) and "De Vijf Koppen" ( the five -impaled- heads). The rather unimpressive gate bearing the jocular name of "Waarachtig "(forsooth!) is the Gothic-Revival compensation for a passage made in the years 1887 and 1888.